Monday, January 16, 2006

Online video services: Google vs Apple

REVIEW : Tech giants hope TV show downloads are next big thing

The SF Chronicle got it pretty much the way it felt doing it myself. I really like watching shows on my computer now (I purchased a segment of Charlie Rose in which he talks with Walt Mossberg and Reed Hastings about the downloading business, among other topics). I know this may sound like bad manners, but I've found Azureus does it's magic with pirated TV shows more smoothly than either system. What with bit torrents accounting for over a third of all internet traffic, I'm sure Apple and Google will improve their services... and we'll see who "gets it right" by their improvements.

In my view, the big difference is portability. Since Apple targeted the iPod, it's way ahead here, and I expect they will be able to target HD screens, too.

No comments: